Friday, 8 October 2010

T2 Manifesto #1

For the past two years I’ve been working at a practice in Wanstead called T-Space Architects on a huge variety of domestic projects. During this time, I’ve gained a reputation for being good at Permitted development and planning applications.

Before T-Space I worked for a variety of difference companies including Donald Insall Associates, Forme UK (interior design) and Davis Langdon and Everest (project management). I wanted to get as broad a range of experience as possible in order to avoid the general criticism of architects lacking knowledge of on site practice and detailing. Something I believe is especially important for female architects wanting to gain respect in an industry dominated by men.

I studied for my BA Hons at Lincoln University. My dissertation was on housing and the elements that make it a success or failure in the eyes of people living there. This ignited my interest in planning and the huge role it plays in ensuring that everything that is built works effectively- something that sadly still does not happen but is more critical than ever in this age of sustainability.

During the summer I went on a week long Building Conservation course run by SPAB and RICS. This was a fantastic boost to my knowledge on maintaining old buildings successfully for the future generations. I’m hoping to do more of these courses and gain practical experience in order to specialise in this field.

My views on sustainability are grounded in my love for the outdoors; preserving and enhancing the landscape and practically encouraging and maintaining the wildlife within it. One of my main ambitions is to build an autonomous house for my family where we would have the space to grow our own fruit and vegetables and raise ducks and pigs.

I’m very excited about SPUD and the potential it gives for me to specialise as a Architect/ Planner with a special interest in historic buildings. Being able to design whilst bearing in mind planning policies and relevant case studies will be a valuable asset in this highly competitive field.

I can also see great benefits in Architect/ Planners infiltrating the planning offices. At the moment some projects have to go to appeal before an Architect with planning policy skills will make a sensible assessment and give it approval. With Architects behind them, I hope planners will feel able to take risks on imaginative schemes that aren’t carbon copies of the architecture surrounding them.

No comments:

Post a Comment